Hello, my name's Joseph Roque. I'm an Android and iOS mobile developer, with a passion for learning.
University of Ottawa, Honours B.Sc. in Computer Science, Data Science Option
- Graduated December 2017
- 3.9 / 4.0 GPA
Java - 6 years, through multiple high school and university courses, as well as a number of personal projects.
Android - 3 years, working on an app at ADGA Group to provide utilities to everyday Canadians, as well as for the 5 Pin Bowling Companion, an app I developed with over 9,000 downloads.
iOS - 1 year, working at Shopify on the Shopify Mobile app, as well as with some personal hackathon projects.
Python - 2 years, for general scripting purposes. Experience with packages such as NumPy and Selenium.
HTML5 / CSS3 - 3 years, designed and implemented a personal website, as well as a website for the University of Ottawa Creative Writing Club.
JUnit, Robolectric - Writing unit tests for Java production code and Android apps.
Continuous Integration - Knowledge of how to set up and configure CI tools such as Jenkins and Travis-CI.
Version Control - Experience at companies with SVN and TFS, personal experience with Git.
Illustrator / Photoshop / Flash - Experience with Photoshop and Illustrator for mockups and logo/asset designs. Made a number of 2D animations throughout high school with Flash and ActionScript.
Eclipse / IntelliJ / Visual Studio - Knowledge of multiple IDEs, through jobs and personal development.
Box, Desktop Developer Intern
May 2017 - August 2017
- Implementing a new, core feature for the recently released Box Drive desktop application
- Writing technical and design documents to supplement development process
- Working with Python, Swift, and C#
Shopify, iOS Developer Intern
September 2016 - December 2016
- Contributing to development of the iOS app for Shopify
- Working closely with multiple teams to bring new features from sections of the web app to the mobile app
- Working on product polish and general UI updates, using Xcode, Swift, and GraphQL
- Writing unit and snapshot tests for code I produce
Microsoft, Software Developer Intern
January 2016 - April 2016
- Participated in overhaul of the NFL app for Xbox One and Windows 10 for the 16/17 season
- Responsible for improving user experience throughout the app by implementing variations of live, constantly updating tiles, and fixing bugs
- Worked with Lua, C#, and XAML, with peer review for each commit, build reviews, and daily scrums
ADGA, Android Developer Intern
May 2015 - August 2015
- Full responsibility for design and development of a new Android application
- Shared responsibility of back end server development of a Node.js server
- Taught teammates (qualified software engineers) about the basics of Java and Android to the point of being able to contribute to development of the Android app alongside me
- Participation in an agile/scrum software development environment
Huawei, Seeds for the Future
- Invited by Huawei Canada to their global headquarters in China as a representative of the University of Ottawa for the 2016 Seeds for the Future program
- Spent a week in Beijing experiencing the language and culture of China, followed by a week in Shenzhen, participating in number of technical labs and presentations lead by the engineers of Huawei
GitHub Contributions (josephroqueca)
My Favourite Projects
Android, Java, SQLite, Material design
Published an Android/Java app to track 5 pin bowling statistics. Interfaces with a SQLite database to analyze the user's progress over time. Presents the data textually, or with a graph. 2,500+ downloads in the Play Store, 4.4 average rating.
React Native, Redux
Designed and developed an app using React Native for students at the University of Ottawa. The app provides students with directions directly to any class on campus, information on events being hosted by the university, and details on nearby bus arrival and departure times.
Ruby on Rails, HTML/CSS
Designed and developed a Ruby on Rails app for the University of Ottawa Creative Writing Club for members to share their personal works and offer feedback on each other's writing. I am currently acting as webmaster of the club, managing the site through Amazon EC2.
Java, Ludum Dare, 2D Game
A 2D Java game made for Ludum Dare 26. The theme of minimalism led to the decision to only have one control - leading the bunny with your mouse.
It's like git, but instead of adding files, you add toppings. Commit, push, and your order is placed. More formally, gitpizza is a command line tool built with Python and Selenium that uses all the commands from git to order you a pizza. Won "Best Developer Tool" at nwHacks 2016.
Graphic Design & Animation
Adobe Flash, Adobe Illustrator
A 2D animation created at Humberview Secondary School to promote the use of technologies in the classroom, asking educators to recognize the "21st Century Learners" students have become. Animation done by myself and Lesli Ransom, music by Justin Bailey.
Adobe Flash, Adobe Illustrator
A short animation depicting the consequences of littering in a fictional manner. Created for a grade 11 Communications Technology final at Humberview Secondary School.
Adobe Flash, Adobe Illustrator
An animation created to accompany a national anthem for the fictional nation of "Manningham". Animation created by myself, the national anthem written and performed by Andi Trepanier and Rachel Walls.
Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Designer
Some examples of my experience with Adobe Illustrator and Affinity Designer.
PHP, PostgreSQL, HTML/CSS
A restaurant rating website created for a team project in a Databases class at the University of Ottawa.
Android, Java, Graphic Design
An Android app to celebrate the annual event, the 12 Days of Beardmas (an event created by myself). Plays music while providing a graphic for each day of 12 Days of Beardmas, at the end of November.
Developed a Pebble app in C to calculate the tip on a restaurant bill. Provide the subtotal and level of service, a recommended tip is provided, and the total is displayed. Over 1,000 downloads in the Pebble App Store.
Android, Java, Swift
An Android / iOS app to help couples keep in touch over long distances.
A RESTful API to facilitate transferring of one's 5 Pin Bowling Companion data to a new device. The API handles uploading, storing the data for up to 1 hour, and letting the user download their data again later.
WriteBrite is a web app which creates a collaborative writing space. Users join a room with other users and one user is selected to go first. That user gets 30 seconds to write the first lines of the story. When their turn ends, a second user is randomly selected and their 30 second turn begins, where they must continue the story started by the first user. This continues until all users feel the story is complete!
Java, libGDX, Android, iOS
A basic mobile game created using libGDX. Swipe the ball through the wall with the matching color.